Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"The earth is my witness."



     The story of Siddhartha’s (soon to be the Buddha) enlightenment includes his resolute determination in the face of Mara’s (the personified spirit of delusion, fear, and greed) temptations and challenges. As a final challenge, Mara demanded to know by what ‘right’ Siddhartha had to take the seat of supreme enlightenment and who would verify it. Siddhartha reached out and touched the ground, “The earth itself is my witness,” he said. The earth shook and trembles and Mara and his assembly of demons left.
     I think there is more to this than a verification. I think that touch was a touch of absolute unity. The earth was not just a witness to the truth but IS the truth and the mother of all beings that express it in their particular way. The truth for Shakyamuni Buddha does not reside in Heaven, in concepts, hidden in foreign lands or languages. It is not reserved for people of a particular color, IQ, belief system, rituals, or geography. The truth is the truth. It is what it is. It is here, and it is now. It is you and it is I. It is alive. The Buddha’s life story is my life story, and yours.
     The Zen teacher Dogen wrote, “Grasses, trees, and land that are embraced by this way of transformation (awakened consciousness) together radiate a great light and endlessly expound the inconceivably profound dharma. Grass, trees, and walls bring forth the teaching for all beings- common people as well as sages- and they in turn extend the dharma for the sake of grasses, trees, and walls.” Like some would say, “It’s all one love.”
     I’m not sure why I have such a profound resonance with this “The earth itself is my witness.” I’m OK with not knowing. Not knowing why keeps it from becoming a museum piece. It is the invitation to trust and the vastness of not knowing along with the grace of trust are my refuge and birthright. For me, not knowing and truth do not oppose each other. Truth is simple. Truth speaks for itself. There are lots of ways of listening.
    
     Zen poet Ryokan wrote:
“The rain has stopped, the clouds have drifted away
     and the weather is clear again.
If your heart is pure, then all things in your world are      pure.
Abandon this fleeting world, abandon yourself,
Then the moon and flowers will guide you along the Way.”


No comments:

Post a Comment